Tuesday, July 12, 2011

LogMX


In a previous post I described some benefits of using Apache Chainsaw to help you analyze log output from log4j.  Despite some significant quality problems, I still found a useful tool while working with log4j output (hey what do you expect for free!).  I have search many times for a log viewer that is better, and there are some very good ones out there (I like LogExpert in particular).  But sadly most of them tend to be to general purpose to excel as a Java debugging tool.

FINALLY the other day I founds something better than Chainsaw.  Way better.  It's called LogMX:


LogMX that includes the nice things that I like in Chainsaw, in addition to a lot of other useful and unique features.  And importantly, LogMX is polished, rock solid, zippy, and somewhat easier to use.  Take a look at the features and screenshots.

I've only tried LogMX with log4j, but it claims it is compatible with all the major logging frameworks, in addition to any "simple" log file format.  To use LogMX with log4j, you just need to configure an appender with the HTMLLayout or XMLLayout.  For example:


        <appender name="logmx" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
                <param name="File" value="target/logmx.log" />
                <param name="Append" value="true" />
                <param name="Threshold" value="TRACE" />
                <layout class="org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLLayout"/>
        </appender>


Then from within LogMX you just do File -> Open and point it to your log file.  

One important  thing to be aware of is LogMX is a commericial program, but you can use it for free for non-commericial use, and the commericial license is not unreasonable at $99.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get a chance to try the developer snapshot of Chainsaw? Would love to hear any feedback (massive improvements and new features).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott: Yes, I did give the latest chainsaw a try. I didn't notice too many differences at first glance. A list of new or enhanced features would probably be very helpful. I did see some enhancements in the filter expressions that I liked. But I also experienced some stability problems; the whole app it would occasionally freeze.

    Wishing you the best on your work with Chainsaw. Feel free to contact me if you would like more more details on what I saw.

    ReplyDelete